Crème Brule is quite possibly the most classic, classy, and delightfully delicious ways to end a romantic meal. This beautifully light and flavorful vanilla custard is a key staple in topping off the perfect home cooked valentines dinner! Plus, if you really want to include a show, you can opt for using a browning torch instead of an oven broiler for the final step, and brown the playful sugar mixture into a hard cracked caramel topping with a delectable shine, right in front of your dates eyes. If that doesn’t scream love, and impress them with your fearless kitchen expertise, we don’t know what will!
2 h 40 m | 5 Servings | 561 Calories
6 Egg Yolks
6 Tablespoons White Sugar, divided
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
Prep: 10 m | Cook: 30 m | Ready In: 2 h 40 m
- Preheat Oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C)
- Beat EGG YOLK, 4 TBSP WHITE SUGAR, and VANILLA EXTRACT in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy
- Pour HEAVY CREAM into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil. Remove the cream from heat immediately. Stir cream into the egg yolk mixture; beat until combined.
- Pour cream mixture into the top pan of a double boiler. Stir over simmering water until mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove mixture from heat immediately and pour into a shallow heatproof dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to broil
- In a small bowl combine remaining 2 TBSP WHITE SUGAR and BROWN SUGAR. Sift this mixture evenly over custard. Place dish under broiler until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling. Refrigerate until custard is set again.